Saturday, February 28, 2015

Song Analysis: The Monster (by Eminem and Rihanna)

One of my favorite new workout songs is 'The Monster', a duet between Rihanna and Eminem
Aside from the powerful rhythm and beat, the lyrics have a lot of depth and useful language phrases.




Useful Language:
  • 'beggars can't be choosy' (or beggars can't be choosers):   When you're given something, it's not right to be picky
  • for wanting my cake and eat it too:  to want things both ways - in this case fame and privacy
  • I'm getting so huge I need a shrink: 'so huge' means so popular.  'shrink' means a psychologist or mental therapist. 
  • My OCD is conking me in the head:  OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, conk means to hit. 
  • Don't shoot the messenger:  is used to tell someone not to get angry at the person delivering bad news
  • Maybe I need a straight jacket, face facts, I am nuts for real:  A straight jacket is a type of restraint used for patients in a mental hospital. 'face facts' means to confront the truth of a situation. To be 'nuts' is to be crazy. 
Discussion Questions
  • Who is 'the monster' in this song?
  • Who are the voices inside of his head saying?
  • What voices do you have inside your head?  What do they say?
  • Would you be willing to trade your privacy for fame?
  • What would you like/hate most about being famous?

No comments:

Post a Comment